Posted to alt.home.repair
frank1492 frank1492 is offline

Default How to Brighten Brick

Thanks Italian-
The brush that I used was a grille (barbecue) brush with very
soft copper bristles from the look. I don't think I got very far into
the outer coating at all, despite the concerns of you and others.
The fireplace will NOT be used. Still I will consider the
sealant you have recommended. One reason is that I don't like
the smell of linseed oil, which I suspect would not go away for
a long time.
I am sure it is very important to make sure the brick looks
the way you want it before applying the sealant. I am still going
to try to clean the brick with TSP unless you recommend
otherwise, before the final step.
One other question: I have very dirty looking mortar at
this point. What would be the best way to brighten that, or
will the TSP work?
The brick had mostly soot and some other discolorations.
Frank

On 15 Aug 2006 17:24:43 -0700, "Italian"
wrote:

As another mentioned you probably removed the "face" of the brick and
are into the body of it. Bricks have a face material that is applied
over the main body before firing this is what allows for different
looking brick colors and texutres. NEVER use a wire brush on brick
always use a natural bristel or man made material (plastic,nylon,ect.)

As I have mentioned before in this group I really do not like masonry
sealants but I believe this would be a perfect application for such. Im
assuming why you went over your brick was because it had soot on it? If
this fireplace is in use the sealant is perfect for this and the oil
would be a huge mistake....oil and dust (or soot) are atracted to each
other like bees and flowers. Yes it would bring out the color but so
would a sealant and it would (seal it) so clean up would be much eaiser
and since it is inside and nobody is walking on it (hopefully) this
probably would never have to be reapplied or atleast not for a long
time.

frank1492 wrote:
I just went over my old brick fireplace with a wire brush and find
that the brick has now become a dull orangy red. What's the best
way to bring back the color? One website says 50% linseed oil
and 50% mineral spirits.
Help much appreciated!
Frank