Posted to alt.home.repair
Italian Italian is offline

Default How to Brighten Brick

As another mentioned you probably removed the "face" of the brick and
are into the body of it. Bricks have a face material that is applied
over the main body before firing this is what allows for different
looking brick colors and texutres. NEVER use a wire brush on brick
always use a natural bristel or man made material (plastic,nylon,ect.)

As I have mentioned before in this group I really do not like masonry
sealants but I believe this would be a perfect application for such. Im
assuming why you went over your brick was because it had soot on it? If
this fireplace is in use the sealant is perfect for this and the oil
would be a huge mistake....oil and dust (or soot) are atracted to each
other like bees and flowers. Yes it would bring out the color but so
would a sealant and it would (seal it) so clean up would be much eaiser
and since it is inside and nobody is walking on it (hopefully) this
probably would never have to be reapplied or atleast not for a long
time.

frank1492 wrote:
I just went over my old brick fireplace with a wire brush and find
that the brick has now become a dull orangy red. What's the best
way to bring back the color? One website says 50% linseed oil
and 50% mineral spirits.
Help much appreciated!
Frank