Posted to alt.home.repair
frank1492 frank1492 is offline

Default How to Brighten Brick

I have a brick like that, but the surface of this brick is quite
irregular, sounds like you'd have trouble making contact between
the two bricks over the complete surface of each.
I tried wetting the surface of a brick or two with just plain
water. I figured that might simulate what they would look like
if oiled. They looked pretty good so I will probably go the linseed
oil route.
Thanks.
Frank

On 15 Aug 2006 10:19:32 -0700, wrote:

frank1492 wrote:
I just went over my old brick fireplace with a wire brush and find
that the brick has now become a dull orangy red. What's the best
way to bring back the color? One website says 50% linseed oil
and 50% mineral spirits.
Help much appreciated!
Frank

I've always heard that you should clean brick by rubbing it with a
brick of approximately the same color. It has worked pretty well for
me.