Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

Default How to Brighten Brick

You have probably scratched the surface of the brick bringing out the terra
cotta colour of the base clay. Don't start applying linseed oil without
testing a small area, like the wire brushing, it is a one way trip. If you
don't like it there is no going back. Also you should have tried the wire
brushing on a hidden area before you did the whole fireplace. If you were
trying to get rid of dirt on the surface a nylon brush probably would have
been better. Always test before you barge ahead.

"frank1492" wrote in message
I just went over my old brick fireplace with a wire brush and find
that the brick has now become a dull orangy red. What's the best
way to bring back the color? One website says 50% linseed oil
and 50% mineral spirits.
Help much appreciated!
Frank