Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default tub creaking

On Wed, 02 Aug 2006 12:13:45 -0500, zxcvbob
wrote:

mm wrote:
My bathtub goes "crack" or maybe "creak" once every time I get in it,
but I haven't seen the distance between the tub and the tile increase
in a year or two, when I started paying attention. At the end of the
tub with the faucet, it's one mm from the tile near the side wall and
2mm from the tile on the side away from the side wall.

I don't take showers in the tub, only baths there, so I'm not getting
any water into the wall, except the one time the tub overflowed, and
water got on the floor. The creaking is no worse since that happened.

What are the chances the tub will fall through the floor in the next
30 years? :-) What are the chances it will fall through the floor
within say a week or a month of when it clearly shows that it is
sagging worse?? I don't want to waste money fixing it now if it will
never get that bad, but I don't want to damage the ceiling downstairs
etc.

My newly installed (by a plumber cuz I hurt my back) Americast tub
creaks when I get in it, or move around in it during a shower. The old
cast iron tub did not creak. In my case, the new tub is lighter and
just doesn't load the floor until some gets in it.

This sounds like my situation. I have light steel too. It only sags
at most 2mm but it is the creaking that had me scared. I've been
meaning to ask about this for months.

I think I'm ok.

Thanks to you and Lawrence and everyone.

I haven't closed up
the walls yet, so I plan to remove the screws holding the tub down on
the 2x4 ledge, stand in the tub to preload it, and put in new screws or
roofing nails to hold it down.

Bob