Posted to sci.electronics.repair
jakdedert jakdedert is offline

Default Used wrong plug on my camcorder!! hELp!!

Deke wrote:
wrote in message
ups.com...
I accidentally used the wrong power plug for my camcorder. Nothing
happened. It didn't power on or anything. I didn't think much about
it. Then I figured i might have had the wrong plug. When I finally
did find the right plug for it, I plugged it in and nothing happened.
It doesn't turn on, nothing. It was working before I plugged in the
wrong plug.

The power adapter it is supposed to take is an 11v plug. The one I
accidentally used is a 9v. Did I blow a board or something? Is this
irreversible?

And this is the reason I bought a cheap etching tool. Every
wall wart, and power supply in the house gets the item name and model #
etched onto the back of the power supply as soon as it comes out of the box.
It really helps when all it says on the back of the power supply is voltage,
and made in china.

That's great. Way to go. Good idea.

OTOH, why in hell is this necessary? Besides the obvious danger to
equipment, this is IMO a safety issue. Sure the chances of something
burning up and perhaps causing a fire is remote, but it exists.

This is one of my pet peeves. I wonder how much gear gets trashed every
day because of this? Power plugs should be standardized so that 'one
size' *doesn't* 'fit all'....

jak