Posted to rec.woodworking
Mike Richardson Mike Richardson is offline

Default Kitchen knife block or wall-mounted knife holder design

Owen,

Just a thought during reading you post, when creating a knife block from
glue-ups, have you thought about putting small, inset, rare earth magnets
inside, such that they are at an appropriate position to just hold the end
of each knife when inserted - this may help with one of your reservations
about tipping the block over...

Mike

Snip
We've got a number of knives that live on the counter top. It's
driving me crazy, but I don't allow them in the drawers. Some are very
good knives, and very sharp. Do you guys have any interesting design
ideas I could scarf?

Snip

Cons:

1. Harder to clean
2. Harder to build
3. Takes up counter space (but of course it's better than nothing, which
is what we're using now)
4. A tip/spill could be disastrous

Snip