Posted to rec.woodworking
Lew Hodgett Lew Hodgett is offline

Default Kitchen knife block or wall-mounted knife holder design

Owen Lawrence wrote:

We've got a number of knives that live on the counter top.

It's driving
me crazy, but I don't allow them in the drawers. Some are very

good knives,
and very sharp. Do you guys have any interesting design ideas I could
scarf?

snip

First you have to design this puppy.

Use Leon's picture as a reference.

Measure up all your knives to determine the needed size of the slots.

This rack is for good knives only. Time to bite the bullet and trash
the junk.

Don't forget to include the steel.

Use some graph paper to make a layout using the slot info above and
assuming you will use 3/4" finish boards. (I sometimes use 5/4 stock
for variety.)

Go to your favorite hardwood dealer and look at the "drop off" pile.

I like to use contrasting woods such as maple, cherry, walnut, etc.

Pick out some boards 15"-18" long, 5"-6" wide and arrange them in the
color pattern of choice.

Time for some wood working.

Cut boards to req'd size, cut slots per layout (dado or router), then
glue boards together.

(You may want to use 1/4" blind dowels to maintain registration during
glue up)

After glue up, cut bottom angle if you want one, sand as req'd, treat
with BLO and enjoy.

Lew