ATP

Default Van Norman End Mill Questions

JMLATHE wrote:
Walter - I've owned a VN#12 for about 6 years and have a good
collection of tooling, but no end mill holders. I've never seen one
with the 5V taper and I've looked. Apparently they either used
collets to hold the smaller end mills, or used end mills having the
B&S #7 shank. I would not want to use collets for driving larger end
mills (1/2"+) or for heavy cuts because they will not hold reliably
and can ruin your work. However shell mill holders were apparently
popular, and I have found several sizes of these. Although you can
still occasionaly find them, they are usually pricy. One just sold on
Ebay with a 1" shank for $107. Ouch! Good luck, John

Thanks. I have a shell mill holder with a 1" shank, a few B&S #7 end mills
and a holder, and some shop made holders the purpose of which is unclear. I
was able to confirm last night that I did get a sub milling head- it was
inside the cabinet of tooling in the back. I have many pieces to the B&S
dividing head but not the dividing head.