Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac
Todd Todd is offline

Default Removing Hot Air from Vaulted Ceiling

The house wasn't built for A/C, it was built for heating. It does have
central heating, so added A/C wasn't a big deal since all of the duct
work was there. However,

a.) the ducts upstairs aren't as wide, to prevent TOO MUCH heat from
getting to the upstairs during the winter

b.) the return air upstaris was located at the bottom of a wall.

I put a second return air register as high as I could go right over the
existing return register, just 8 feet higher.

The problem is that the only air return occurs in the hallway, and not
in my bedrooms surrounding the hallway. And the bedrooms surrounding
the hallway have vaulted ceilings as well.

Its would be great if there was a way to get the hot air in the
bedrooms into the hallway and down the air return.

But still, i figured that venting the space between the ceiling and the
roof would better cool the room. I dunno.

- Todd

wrote:
I'm guessing that you have a n older house made before A/C or otherwise
doesn't have proper ducting for A/C. In order to get rid of the hot
air, you need a return air in an area where it's hot. If your lowest
return air grill in near the bottom of an upper floow (i.e. in the
floor itself or low on the wall) then you will need a return air placed
higher to draw in the hot air instead or recirculating the already
cooled air.