Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac
Todd Todd is offline

Default Removing Hot Air from Vaulted Ceiling

Hi,

I have a two story house with vaulted ceilings throughout. I had AC
put in last year, but the upstairs doesn't really cool down. The front
of the house has the biggest windows, and is West Facing, so it gets
all of the afternoon sun. Last year, I also replaced all of these
windows with much more efficient windows.

However, I can't get it below 80 degrees upstairs. And this can often
be when its cooler outside.

In examining my options, I noticed that I have NO vents on my roof. I
have all vaulted ceilings, so I don't have an attic. I do have some
soffit venting on either side of the slope of my roof.

Can I put turbine vents on the roof? Will this make a difference in
temperature for those upstairs rooms if I can cool the space between
the ceiling joists and the rafters? Again I have NO ATTIC.

Really, what I'm looking for is a way of removing that hot air from the
vaulted ceilings in the summer.

Any suggestions? Turbine vents appear to be an easy solution. Will
cooling the space between the roof and the ceiling help in cooling the
room below it?

- Thanks in advance,

Todd