Roy

Default Initial fill (should have looked before I asked)

On Wed, 17 Dec 2003 20:56:48 -0500, Jeff Wisnia
wrote:

===
===
===Jeff Wisnia wrote:
===
===
===
=== So, what is considered a "safe and acceptable" standard purging routine
=== for propane containers?
===
===
===snipped
===
===Googled this up at several locations...:
===
===******************************************** ************************************************
===
===Have your LP-gas container purged. It only takes a few minutes and your LP-gas
===dealer is equipped to perform this service (see NPGA bulletin 133-a).
===
===To purge a container, the following steps should be taken:
===
===1. Purging of containers should be performed in an approved area (see NFPA
===#58)
===
===2. Determine if the container pressure is zero. Should the container contain
===only air pressure, the air may be vented directly to the atmosphere through
===the service valve.
===
===3. If free water is present in the container, it should be drained.
===
===4. Pressurize the container to approximately 15 PSIG with LP-gas vapor. Never
===purge with liquid LP-gas; to do so will cause the moisture vapor to chill and
===remain in the container.
===
===5. Fully open the container service valve and vent safely to the atmosphere.
===
===6. Repeat the fourth and fifth steps for a total of five purgings.
===
===******************************************** ************************************************** *
===
===Jeff

Well I can buy the reasoning behind it, but at 25 a whack is out of
line. I'll carry it to the dealer that I usually use to get my fills.
These others were on my way home and I stopped by to see about getting
it filled. The others I called on the phone, as my regular dealer is
closed today after 12 noon. He has been in business for 49 years now,
so he should know what the story is and how to handle it.

I pay $7.35 for a 20# refill from this fellow. But if there is propane
in the tank he will weigh it and only charge you for what he puts in
it, unlike the others that you pay a flat fee regardless of how much
may be left in it. Thats one reason I was going to get it filled at
the other places as my dealer is further away and these were on my way
and the tank was empty anyhow. I sure don;t know how folks pay those
high prices at places like Lowes and wally world for 20# refills.

I had no input whatsoever.
Remove "nospam" from email addy.