Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Yanik Jim Yanik is offline

Default Using JB Weld on Exhaust Manifold ?????

wrote in
:

Has anyone ever used JB Weld on an exhaust manifold?

Epoxy is a plastic,and it will not take the 1000deg-plus heat of an
exhaust manifold.

I am doing some exhaust work and for some reason the studs came out of
the manifold rather than the brass nuts coming off. (I thought that
was strange).

Yes,BRASS nuts should not have seized like that.

Anyhow, I decided to replace the studs and nuts while I
was at it. There are 3 of them. Two worked fine, the 3rd will not
hold in the manifold. Apparently the threads are bad. Changing the
manifold is not an option. However, what if I JB Weld it in? I know
JB Weld is good, but is this too hot for it to work? Has anyone ever
done it?

One other thing. I used some anti-sieze on all threads. What can I
use to remove it before I use the JB Weld (if I do)? I dont think it
will hold good to that stuff. Will carb cleaner remove it?

Thanks

Mark

*Damn I hate working on exhaust systems*

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik