Posted to alt.home.repair
Don Young Don Young is offline

Default Can I put a timer on a basic gas water heater?

"EXT" wrote in message
anews.com...

"peter" wrote in message
I have a gas water heater that doesn't use electricity. It works by having
a bare copper wire conduct temperature out of the water tank into the
thermostat.

That is NOT a bare copper wire, it is a capillary tube that conducts a
liquid that is heated in the pilot light and uses the pressure to operate
the valve.

It could be either a tube for pressure operation or the outer conductor of a
coaxial wire pair. The wires are used for thermocouple type sensors and
electromagnet operation of the pilot section of the valve. Both types were
common at one time.

Don Young