Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Can I put a timer on a basic gas water heater?

"Mark Lloyd" wrote in message
I have a gas water heater that doesn't use electricity. It works by
having
bare copper wire conduct temperature out of the water tank into the
thermostat.

Nowadays you could do it with your computer and some X-10 gear. Run a
relay from the X-10 appliance module to interrupt the power-on line
from the tstat. Alternatively, you could use a standard lamp timer
with a relay for the same purpose. Piece of cake, but you're right,
it might not save a lot of money.

(What's your reason for doing this, Peter?)

If you want to do this, an appliance module is not the best choice.
Use a "universal module" which can be set to act as just a relay. No
external relay needed. Note that this module can be a power source as
well. Be sure to read the instructions.

How do you do it on a unit that has no electricity going to it? I'd like to
see the wiring diagram.