Posted to alt.home.repair
Mark Lloyd Mark Lloyd is offline

Default Can I put a timer on a basic gas water heater?

On Sun, 16 Jul 2006 18:50:47 -0700, Larry Jaques
wrote:

On Sun, 16 Jul 2006 16:22:23 -0400, with neither quill nor qualm,
"HeatMan" quickly quoth:

"peter" wrote in message
I have a gas water heater that doesn't use electricity. It works by having

bare copper wire conduct temperature out of the water tank into the
thermostat. The same way some air conditioner works. It also uses a manual
pilot light (you have to light the pilot light manually if the gas was
turned off and on).

Is it possible to add a timer to this kind of water heater?

Yep.

I did it once and it cost (at that time) more money than you could have
possible saved over the life of the tank.

Nowadays you could do it with your computer and some X-10 gear. Run a
relay from the X-10 appliance module to interrupt the power-on line
from the tstat. Alternatively, you could use a standard lamp timer
with a relay for the same purpose. Piece of cake, but you're right,
it might not save a lot of money.

(What's your reason for doing this, Peter?)

If you want to do this, an appliance module is not the best choice.
Use a "universal module" which can be set to act as just a relay. No
external relay needed. Note that this module can be a power source as
well. Be sure to read the instructions.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com