Posted to alt.home.repair
HeatMan HeatMan is offline

Default Can I put a timer on a basic gas water heater?

"peter" wrote in message
I have a gas water heater that doesn't use electricity. It works by having

bare copper wire conduct temperature out of the water tank into the
thermostat. The same way some air conditioner works. It also uses a manual
pilot light (you have to light the pilot light manually if the gas was
turned off and on).

Is it possible to add a timer to this kind of water heater?

Yep.

I did it once and it cost (at that time) more money than you could have
possible saved over the life of the tank.