Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Arch Arch is offline

Default Jet Mini or Myford ML8...

Hi me, My experience and take is the same as LRod's. Myford MLs were
the standard of the world in hobby or small production lathes, both wood
and metal, during the craft's revival begun in the late 70''s. Most of
us lusted after a Myford, but didn't own one. We drooled over their
pictures in all the early books beginning with Frank Pain's. I suspect
any machine made by Myford would be on the leading edge in its time and
of high quality anytime. I would not pay a premium for one now because
although you can do much more with the Myford than with the Jet, if you
progress to large face turnings you probably would want to exchange it
for one of the state of the art lathes that LRod mentioned. Whereas you
would likely keep the dandy little Jet mini. I will probably get some
flack from turners who love their old Deltas and other 'big iron'
spindle lathes, but I doubt they would pay a premium for one today and
parts aren't cheap if available.

In summary then, start out with the Jet unless the myford is a bargain
you can't refuse.

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter