Posted to alt.home.repair
almosthandy almosthandy is offline

Default freezer won't start-tries to kick in but nothing happens.

JimL: is this right what the manual calls a controller which connects
to the compressor? the controller looks like black square which also
has the capacitor right on its top.
Thanks.
JimL wrote:
On 3 Jul 2006 16:44:00 -0700, "almosthandy"
wrote:

I have a Frigidaire upright frostless (rated heavy duty) 7 to 10 yrs
old. Everytime I plug it in it makes a hissing noise like the
compressor is going to start but it does not kick in. After a few
seconds the noise goes away and nothing happens. I have replaced a
capacitor but it did not help. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

My fridge was warranted for 5 years and went out last month with
exactly the same symptoms as yours at 5 1/2 years.

You have a device on your compressor called a start/overheat relay.
It is broken and needs replacing. I got one on Ebay for $22 including
shipping. I also bought a couple of generic start kits for $10 each.

The repairman will likely want about $500 to repair the fridge. You
can pick up a new side by side at Fry's for $600.