Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] baspluim@gmail.com is offline

Default Disposals compatible with septic systems?

I've had a septic system for years (recently got annexed so now on city
sewer), and used a garbage disposal without problems. Of course, with
only two people living in a house built for five, the septic system had
plenty over overcapacity.

I'd just be careful what you dispose. Food scraps are probably OK. The
main thing is to make sure you don't kill the bacteria that break down
the solids. A garbage disposal is probably less harmful than a bottle
of bleach. Just keep it within reasonable proportions.

HTH.

wrote:
We believe the seller of the house we have had a disposal but there is
none in the sink now. Are there negatives or pitfalls combining the
two? Our son and DIL have the combination and haven't reported
problems but I guess a "second opinion" could benefit us. Thoughts
welcomed.