Posted to alt.home.repair
jackson jackson is offline

Default Disposals compatible with septic systems?

queried:
We believe the seller of the house we have had a disposal but there is
none in the sink now. Are there negatives or pitfalls combining the
two? Our son and DIL have the combination and haven't reported
problems but I guess a "second opinion" could benefit us. Thoughts
welcomed.

A garbage disposal on a septic system is not recommended - IMHO. The thing
that kills septic systems & leach fields is solids, why would you want to
add more to the system? I'd also stay away from bleach, any strong
chemicals, fats, grease, hair, etc. Pump and inspect the tank (and baffles)
at least every other year.

That's just my 2 cents though.....