Posted to uk.d-i-y
mentalguy2004 mentalguy2004 is offline

Default How can I cool my loft?

"MikeH" wrote in message
ups.com...

mentalguy2004 wrote:
I have an extremely hot loft, which is keeping the top half of my house
hot
as well. I'm running 2 large air conditioners upstairs, but the heat
isn't
escaping through the loft which is at least 10 degrees hotter. Downstairs
is
around 5-6 degrees cooler than upstairs.

I don't have a loft skylight (nor the will or cash to install one), so
does
anyone have any ideas on how to cool the loft so that I can get rid of
some
heat upstairs?

Thanks!

I have the same problem - it's a bit like living inside a storage
heater in the current hot weather. I don't have any aircon upstairs,
but I've found that putting big fans in two open windows to shift as
much air through the upper floor makes a big difference. This cools
the house quite quickly once the temperature drops a bit in the
evening. I put one fan on the cooler north side of the house to draw
air into that room, and another blowing outwards in a window on the
south-facing side, and leave the doors open to allow a through draught

I'm also going to improve the insulation to prevent the heat in the
loft going through the ceiling into the upper floor. Hopefully it will
also help my winter fuel bills. There's only a couple of inches of
insulation at the moment - way too little by today's standards.

Mike

I might try the fan/window idea, thanks. Our house is a mid-terrace, so in
the winter we don't use much heating, as the front and back are sheltered,
the loft insulation is good and the neighbours keep us warm.... but it's
horrible in the summer. Hardly any breeze and the air is very still.