Posted to uk.d-i-y
Richard Downing

Default Removing 100 years of dust & soot from attic

JustMe wrote:

I know it's a tall order, but is there a solution that will provide me with
a long hose (minimum 10 metres from main unit if no larger than an HSS
"medium duty" vacuum cleaner, or longer otherwise) through which I can
extract (vacuum) a heavy accumlation of dust (it's up to 10cms thick in
places), along with occasional loose lumps of plaster from the lattice,
whilst keeping that dust sealed up and contained for easy disposal, without
having to do messy bag empties every five minutes.

In my workshop I have a workshop vac, it's wall mounted and has a large
bag for the wood dust and a sub-micron filter that stops the dust being
recirculated. The feed pipe is 4 inches in diameter, and I have a run
of over 20 meters of it. This is powerful enough to suck up a lot of
wood-chips and dust. I can imagine such a machine 'outside' of your
house with a long 4-6 inch flexy tube going in a window and up into your
roof-space. On the end you put an adaptor for a standard vacuum-cleaner
nozzle (I have one of these for cleaning my machines).

The point is the vacuum source and the venting of dust is outside the house.

If I had your job to do, that's how I'd do it, and I imagine that's what
a contractor would do too.

R.