Posted to rec.woodworking
Doug Miller

Default Substitute for Red Devil lye?

In article .com, wrote:

... I've found that Red Devil lye is no longer sold locally. ... My local

searches have yeilded nothing that is pure sodium hydroxide, and I'm reluctant
to use anything that has "other stuff" in it.

You don't need pure "sodium hydroxide".

In fact, for coloring cherry, you probably *do* need pure NaOH.

In a pinch you can use Easy-Off
oven cleaner or Drano. Both contain lye.

Yes, they do. They also contain various other substances whose presence may be
undesirable. It's not wise to assume that they are interchangeable.

--
Regards,