Posted to rec.woodworking
the_tool_man

Default Substitute for Red Devil lye?

Hi Dhakala:

By lye, I mean sodium hydroxide. Potassium hydroxide is a.k.a. Potash
Lye. They are two different things, but with sorta the same name. The
question is, does it produce the same effect as "regular" lye. I ask,
because I think Potassium hydoxide is used as a pH modifier in spa
chemicals, which I can get in reasonable quantities.

Dhakala wrote:
the_tool_man wrote:
Anybody used potassium hydroxide?

Thanks again for any help!

Regards,
John.

That's why lye is, John. You can make it at home. This recipe is rather
elaborate, for producing significant quantities. But I'm sure you can
scale it down and simplify it. The basic idea is to pour soft water
over hardwood ashes. N. B.: don't use any metal containers!

http://www.wikihow.com/Make-Lye