Posted to alt.home.repair
Big Al

Default Repairing a rusted swamp cooler

"dpb" wrote in message
oups.com...

wrote:
Al,

As far as I know the converter only comes in aerosol form. ...

Nope, it comes in liquid (brush on) form as well. A NAPA or a body
shop is a good source. There are several brands, Loctite, 3M,
Rustoleum as well as the NAPA-branded product come to mind. For best
results use one that indicates it is a tannic acid (rather than
phosphoric acid).

Phosphoric acid?? That's used in rust removers like Naval Jelly, right? That
would eat up the rest of the cooler

Poured some rust converter inside the tailgate of an old truck I had. Shook
it up and dumped out the excess. Worked like champ

Thanks for all the help. One of my friends suggested I make a pan out of
sheet metal and put it under the cooler. I'm going to try to seal it up
first.

Al