Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Repairing a rusted swamp cooler

Al,

As far as I know the converter only comes in aerosol form. Strange
stuff, but it works. Rather than elastomerized roof coating, I'd use
an epoxy based sealer and/or paint. I think most marine sealants are
epoxy based, not sure about the cooler coatings. Be aware that epoxy
is nearly indestructible, meaning overspray from epoxy-based paint is
there to stay.

Perhaps you could also just use the present pan as a form for a
fiberglass mat replacement, covering it with waxed paper to prevent
adhesion, or perhaps fabricate a new pan from some combination of
sheet metal, rigid plastic, etc. and fiberglass.

On Sun, 25 Jun 2006 16:49:08 -0700, "Big Al" wrote:

I did the fiberglass repair to a cooler about 10 years ago. Water from the
pad frames got under the fiberglass and made the problem worse. The lower
edge of the pad frames fit on the upper lip of the pan. If I try to bring
the mat up to the edge the frames will not fit. If I leave the mat 1/4 inch
under the lip of the pan water gets under it. I'm going to try the rust
converter, if I can find it. Home Depot, Lowe's and Ace all have it but only
in aerosol cans. Would be a lot better if I could brush it on. Then I may
try some kind of roof coating with membrane. Or ??? That stuff they sell to
coat coolers, think it's called "Submarine Coat" is a disappointment too.

Thanks for the replies,

Al

'Hell' is a relative term