Posted to alt.home.repair
Big Al

Default Repairing a rusted swamp cooler

wrote in message
The cooler on my mother's house in AZ had the same problem. I advised
her to have her handyman dry it, wire brush/scotchbright it to remove
loose rust and paint, spray it with rust converter to inhibit further
rusting, and then line the entire inside of the pan with fiberglass
mat soaked in resin. There were some smaller rust spots on one of the
panels, and he used the same approach but with spot putty. After he
did all that he repainted it.

I did the fiberglass repair to a cooler about 10 years ago. Water from the
pad frames got under the fiberglass and made the problem worse. The lower
edge of the pad frames fit on the upper lip of the pan. If I try to bring
the mat up to the edge the frames will not fit. If I leave the mat 1/4 inch
under the lip of the pan water gets under it. I'm going to try the rust
converter, if I can find it. Home Depot, Lowe's and Ace all have it but only
in aerosol cans. Would be a lot better if I could brush it on. Then I may
try some kind of roof coating with membrane. Or ??? That stuff they sell to
coat coolers, think it's called "Submarine Coat" is a disappointment too.

Thanks for the replies,

Al