Posted to alt.home.repair
Goedjn

Default pier and beam repair

On 24 Jun 2006 21:38:34 -0700, "kirk" wrote:

I have a 1920s house that developed a water leak that destroyed a beam,
a joist, and subflooring that is used to support a 2" thick concrete
slab that is the original tiled bathroom floor. I contracted out fo

.. . . .[irrelevencies deleted] . . .

The subfloor consists of 1x6s between the joists and they are rotted
and the concrete cracked and coming down an inch, the supporting joist
is rotted, and the beam as well. How do I safely replace the beam,
sister the joist (it also has numerous cutouts for the plumbing) since
the wood floor is nailed to the original, and fill in and fix the
subfloor to support the cracked concrete?

If that isn't the only available bathroom, then the simplest
solution would be to take out all the fixtures,
prop a box of beams on four posts under the thing,
and cut that entire section of floor out, although
without seeing the existing beam it's hard to say
what to do about that,

If it is the only bathroom, and you can't afford
to do it right, then paint the entire understructure
with boracare, and then prop support planks up
all over creation, using blackpipe supports
plugged and painted with something toxic/sticky
to discourage termites., and start saving money to
fix it next year.

With any luck, something will happen in the meantime
that will render the question moot.