Posted to rec.woodworking
Mike Marlow

Default Buffing Polyurethane

"mac davis" wrote in message
On Tue, 20 Jun 2006 10:56:07 GMT, "Jock"
wrote:

hey,
I am doing a shelf in Cypress Pine, I want a nice (really) nice smooth
finish. With a lambswool pad on the random orbital sander, do I need
anything as a buffing agent?? I have never gone for this level of finish
before and would appreciate a word on the best ay to achieve something

other
than disaster.
thanks,
Jock

Confusing point here... have you put poly on it already??

If not, I'd sand it to 600 or so and then go over it with a polisher like

ultra
sheen or something... that brings it up to maybe 2400 grit...
Then buff the heck out of it, with a good 3 wheel system like the Beall,

if
possible.. YMWV
Mac

If the factory finish is not in very bad shape - which is to say, no gouges,
only surface scratches, I would not go as abrasive as 600. 1500 is plenty
abrasive enough for surfaces scratches. Any rubbing compound or the like
will then take it up to any luster desired. If the surface scratches are
quite minor, I would not even hit it with 1500. Just use a compound. 600
is really a tooth grit. You want it for primers and such where tooth is
desired.

--

-Mike-