Posted to alt.home.repair
Jack

Default Lumens per square foot?

"G Mulcaster" wrote in message
Hi Gang,

I'm in the process of wiring my garage/workshop. It has a 10'
ceiling and will be painted off white.

How many lumens per sq ft should I use for lighting?

Also, what type of lighting is recommended? I'm thinking flourescent
to save on costs, but am open to any suggestions.

Thanks, Gary

For general garage lighting I think 10 footcandles (fc) should ok.
Depending on the specific working task, it could be anywhere form 30 to 300
fc or more on the working surface. The IES lighting handbook has the fc
requirements for many specific tasks. Good flourescent fixtures are hard to
beat but make sure you don't have strobe effect when working with rotating
machines or tools.

For example, my woodshop (table saw, radial arm saw, drill press, etc.) has
about 100 fc with flourescent fixtures. This translates to about 3 to 4
watts/sf at 8' ceiling mounting height and off white paint.