Posted to alt.home.repair
ameijers

Default Water, not just fogging, in Thermopane Windows. What2Do??

wrote in message
ups.com...
The good news is I got 9 older aluminum frame double-hung windows to go
in the barn I just built (garage, workshop etc).... Free!

The Bad News is that they were lying outside, flat on their backs, for
a year, and most have water INSIDE the thermopane windows. Many have
dripping, moving water, a couple are just fogged.

Well, that is probably why they were free. Replacement glass panels will
likely cost almost as much as new thermopane windows, unless they are a
stock size.

Seeing as how this is a barn, do you really care if they are full
double-pane insulating quality, or if they are a little foggy? You could
lean them upright someplace in direct sun, and drill through the seal on the
low end to drain the water. In a few days they would probably look okay
enough for barn use. Double panes will provide some extra insulation, albeit
not as much as 'dry air' filled ones. If you don't mind the fog in damp
weather, good enough.

Now if you want them pretty, yes, you are looking at getting fresh glass.
Usually best to take the frames into the glass shop and have them change
them- even experts screw up the installs at times, and if you haven't done
it before, you will likely hose up a couple doing it yourself.

aem sends...