Ken Davey

Default SURVIVING THE 100 YEAR WINTER

Carl Byrns wrote:
On Sat, 06 Dec 2003 10:50:49 GMT, "Karl Townsend"
wrote:

I'd be curious what Minnesota had that year. All the snow fall
numbers and temperatures sound pretty typical events for the north
county.

I got a video somewhere of me running a good size snowblower on the
barn roof, no sidewalls on the barn, the snow was that high. Keeping
my driveway open that year was a piece of cake though. I've got a
two stage blower that goes on a 60+ horse tractor. We did get our
township declared a federal disaster area that year because of all
the snow removal costs. We had one township road with a 16 foot
snowdrift clear across it. Had to get the payloaders out every time
the wind blew.

As to temperatures, 20 below ain't worth mentioning up here. Now I do
remember the 40 below days. I've only seen 50 below once and I had
to get my car, left outside, running. My nose kept freezing shut, I
don't know what they do in Alaska to solve this problem.

Karl

I live in Central New York and a guy I used to work with has a picture
of himself standing in front of his one-story house after a heavy
snowfall. Except it's a two story house- he and his wife had to crawl
out a second story window.

I was in Minnesota in the fall once and remember that -20 was no big
deal.

Methinks some survivalists are creampuffs (no offense to Gunner).

-Carl

Winter of '66 I had a rental on the west shore of the Lake of Two Mountains
just west of Montreal.
A blizzard came up overnight and huge drifts covered most of the local
roads. Where my car was parked there was no snow. Swept clear by the wind
off the lake. In front of the house - a big two and a half story structure,
a drift had formed that more or less exactly matched the height and lengh if
it. Finding that the ordinary snow removal equipment that the village
operated was less than effective they had hired the services of a huge
grader. The grader came down the road and when the operator saw the drift in
front of the house he stopped. Then, equipped with more confidence than
experience he backed up a hundred yards and took a run at it. The entire
machine just plain vanished! An hour and a half later, with the help of a
small cat and a tow truck it was extricated. The operator, now a humbled
man, allowed as how he thought he was going to die in that drift!
Ah; Winters past.
Ken.