Roy

Default Rhino Liner on a mower deck

On Sat, 06 Dec 2003 01:55:14 GMT, jim wrote:

===Roy wrote:
===
=== Been kicking it around on having my new mower deck Rhino lined both
=== topside and bottom. What do you all think? I had at one time smeared
=== a coating of a rubbe rlike material on the underside of my old deck,
=== in the path and area that gets blasted the most by debri and it seemed
=== to hold up pretty darn good. I did not take any special steps or even
=== clean it really well, and it held up for a long time, bout 3 years or
=== so. Seems to me like a coat or two of Rhino liner could possibly stop
=== errosion of the deck and rust. and also seal up those joints where
=== spindle housings etc attach to deck which is always a problem area on
=== debri and water getting under them and making them rust out.
=== Just a thought.
=== Comments appreciated.
===
=== Regards
=== Visit my website: http://www.frugalmachinist.com
=== Opinions expressed are those of my wifes,
=== I had no input whatsoever.
=== Remove "nospam" from email addy.
===get a toro with an aluminum deck and you dont have to worry about the
===lining....

Well if TORO made a deck like I have and could do what the tractor I
have is mounted to I may consider it, but I and a lot of others found
out that the alkaline type soils we have here is very very bad on
aluminum. I can drive an aluminum tent peg into the ground and in two
or three months its nothing but a blob of crystalized material
anywhere it was in contact with the soils. I have found this to be a
problem with any aluminum objects around here if its exposed to any of
the dirt. I really don't think TORO makes a LAwn and Garden tractor
with a 54 inch deck that would do what I do with mine, as well as the
other attachments that this tractor uses. Aluminum decks may be fine
for residential use, of on smooth lawns etc but they don't fare to
well out of that environement. I have a Honda Push mower that was
always rised off after use, and its deck corroded through in about 5
years time and had numerous cracks. The outside looked fine, but just
setting in the barn during the off season was all it took.