Posted to uk.d-i-y
sm_jamieson

Default plywood for partition wall

Chris Bacon wrote:
sm_jamieson wrote:
The requirement is for a "camden partition" only 50mm
deep in all, in front of a normal 9" party wall.

What's on the other side of the wall, that can be heard
through 9" of it! A jet engine being tested?

You're curious now.
Its partly an experiment, since I'm doing the bathroom back to brick
anyway.
I'm a bit paranoid about the odd noises you get from next doors
bathroom, usually only audible a night. With a 9" wall, if someone is
sitting on the loo right next to the wall and, coughs or blows the old
nose, it can be heard. It unsettles me !
So I'm trying to make it totally silent. Thus a gap, some mineral wool,
some heavy boarding etc. Bathroom not huge, so needs to be a slimline
as possible.
The jet engine ?
Well, the overhead cistern I am removing does a fair impression of one.
As an aside, my (to be removed) chinawear has gone rusty ! I cut the
old cast iron bath into 3 with an angle grinder, and the iron dust that
had landed on the damp sink and loo went rusty almost before my eyes,
and somehow worked its way into the glaze. It can be removed, but with
a lot of elbow grease. I tried cracking the bath with a lump hammer but
nothing was happening, and the lady next door thought her time had come
!
Simon.