Posted to alt.home.repair
John McGaw

Default Dishwasher heating element

jonlevy wrote:
I'm trying to fix the "hot dry" function on my dishwasher--as is, I get no
steam, no heat, and no drying. After seeking some advice, I removed the
heating element and tested its resistance with a multimeter. It said 0
OHMs! I figured it was broken and got another, but that says 0 too!! Does
this make sense?

If the elements were _really_ 0 Ohms then it would mean that both were
defective but in a completely shorted way. More likely you had your
meter on the wrong resistance range or, if it was on the lowest range,
that the meter doesn't go low enough.

The problem is in the wiring or a connection or the circuit element(s)
which are responsible for switching power to the element and I'm
guessing that a repair is probably not something you should see as a
do-it-yourself project.

--
John McGaw
[Knoxville, TN, USA]