Posted to sci.electronics.repair
JANA

Default Dishwasher heating element.

Your meter probably cannot measure very low ohms to begin with. Your heating
element when cold should measure about 6 to 15 ohms, depending on the type.
If it was truly shorted, your machine would be popping breakers, or blowing
fuses, or whatever.

The fault is probably the controller unit, relay, or the main control
circuit board, or an open connection somewhere.

Since you are not an experienced appliance service tech, I would suggest you
make a call for an estimate to have your machine serviced properly. You may
end up spending more time and money on it than having it serviced properly
in the first place. Probably, buying a new heating element for nothing is an
example of what I am getting at.

In servicing these appliances, like most electrical devices, there are
serious safety issues involved.

--

JANA
_____

"jonlevy" wrote in message
I'm trying to fix the "hot dry" function on my dishwasher--as is, I get no
steam, no heat, and no drying. After seeking some advice, I removed the
heating element and tested its resistance with a multimeter. It said 0
OHMs! I figured it was broken and got another, but that says 0 too!! Does
this make sense?