Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Fix tile shower or put new fiberglass insert

Jack wrote:
Found my tile shower to be leaking.. plumber in the house for another
project told me to break out bottom 6 inches of tile, and the floor
tile and he would install new pan.. then we tile back over and be done
with it. One I did that it was clear the wet wood continues up higher
than 6 inches..

Now my thought is that it would be stupid to try to repair and
re-tile.. and I should just remove all tile and replace with one of
those fiberglass insert jobs. Doesn't that make more sense?

Hello Jack:

Been there, done that. Water was leaking through (very old plastic)
tile seams and the soap dish, into the wood and wallboard behind it.
We decided to do it right. Removed all of the tile, all the wallboard
behind it, and some of the studs behind that-----the studs were wet
too. Then we put in some new studding, concrete tile backerboard, and
new tile. That was about fifteen years ago, and it still looks and
works great.

My guess is that if the wood is wet, it will eventually rot. It is
unlikely to dry out much after the new wallboard and tile are in place.

Best -- Terry