Posted to alt.home.repair
JD

Default pergola beam span

I want to build a pergola over my deck and don't want any posts in the
middle of the deck. The deck is 22 ft wide and 12 feet deep. Because of
the direction of the sun I will span the 12 ft depth. The 4 beams would be
supporting 2x8 joists probably 24" oc that support 2x6 or 1x6 top pieces 12"
oc that will shield the deck from the sun.
On the "house side" the beams would be supported by columns or a leger board
fastened to the brick side of the house. On the "outside of the deck" the
beams would be supported by 8" round fiberglass columns. I am planning on
using doubled 2x12s for the beams. One reason is for aestetics, but my
research has indicated that this will support the weight of the joists and
top pieces. I will be using treated southern pine. As added support, I'll
be adding support posts under the deck near the major support columns.
I'd appreciate your thoughts
TIA
JD