Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Larry Jaques

Default Interview for a machine shop position

On Thu, 18 May 2006 20:32:42 -0700, with neither quill nor qualm, xray
quickly quoth:

On Thu, 18 May 2006 07:58:17 -0700, Eric R Snow
wrote:

That job required roundness within .00003"
TIR. Size however within .0001" TIR.

I'm a garage hacker and have no idea or desire to achive that level of
tolerance. Just curious, can some machines do that just from knobs and
such or does it require more finesse?

Yes, and you need to know the machine well enough to work around any
slop, wobbliness, or wear it has. Adjust-out all you can and know
where the rest is so you can factor it in.

Being a novice on these things, I had an impression that the last pass
of removal should be a couple thou or more. No truth?

My tools are unlikely to get into the .0001 range, but I'm curious about
the techniques that might make it semi-possible if I ever need it.

You need sub-RCH-marked dials and a light touch, X. Bifocals and/or
magnifying lenses help, too. A really good "feel" for calipers/mikes
helps as well.

--'nother hacker.

Murphy was an Optimist