Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Larry Jaques

Default Interview for a machine shop position

On Thu, 18 May 2006 09:24:01 -0400, with neither quill nor qualm,
Randy Replogle quickly quoth:

wrote:
However, if I went to work for his
company, I seriously don't know if I'd ever actually do some precise
work or design any tools.

Alot of this message is me just venting (maybe you guys had a similar
situation that you want to share).

Whatever job you end up taking, get *all* points of interest in writing.

Excellent advice, Randy.

Jody, in addition to that, make your apprehensions known to the guy
before you're hired so you're on the same page. Maybe they'll end up
redoing their job definition so you're happy or so they get the worker
they really need, even if they don't know what they want. You never
know until you ask.

I wish I'd asked more questions before hiring on to some of my
previous (automotive repair) jobs, and I've had employers tell me that
the touchy but honest questions I did ask were important to them for
future hires.

Murphy was an Optimist