Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Owen Lowe

Default Alcohol Drying of Wet Wood

In article ,
Fred Holder wrote:

At time of wrapping 5-4-06 Weight was 450 grams
The next morning 5-5-06 Weight was 400 grams
5-6-06 365 grams
5-7-06 320 grams
5-8-06 310 grams
5-9-06 265 grams
5-11-06 240 grams
5-13-06 200 grams
5-14-06 190 grams
5-15-06 190 grams

After weighing today, I final turned it. The foot was still round so that I
could use the chuck tenon originally used to turn the piece. There were no
cracks or checks. The piece has lost 58 percent of its original weight in ten
days setting in my shop. It was out of round by less that 1/16 inch. The wood
was very dry when turned.

Hi Fred. After the last discussion on alcohol, I contacted Dave Smith to
get permission to run his article in our chapter newsletter. Several
members approached me telling me it really does work for them. I've not
tried it yet, but plan to give it a go today if I remember to hit the
local hardware for some alcohol.

What would be most interesting to me concerning the drying results above
would be a side-by-side comparison of two similarly sized and shaped
forms from the same section of tree. Treat both the same with the taping
and bagging, but treat only one with the alcohol. I'd give it a go
myself, but I don't have a scale...

--
Owen Lowe

Northwest Woodturners
Pacific Northwest Woodturning Guild
___
Tips fer Turnin': Place a sign, easily seen as you switch on your lathe, warning you to remove any and all rings from your fingers. Called degloving, extended hardware can grab your ring and rip it off your finger. A pic for the strong of stomach: www.itim.nsw.gov.au/go/objectid/2A3AC703-1321-1C29-70B067DC88E16BFC/index.cfm

Besides, rings can easily mar the surface of a turning as you check for finished smoothness.