Posted to alt.home.repair
Tim S

Default Cat urine odor ?

davej wrote:

Hi,

Can any one help me with a problem that I am having at my aunts home. My
aunt had many, many cats before she passed away and it took over 3 months
to find new homes for them. The question that I have involves cat urine
odor in the house. The house requires a lot of work but I cant seem to get
any one to work in there because of the odor. Does anyone know of any
solutions to remove the urine odor. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks so much,
daveJ

Hi Dave,

Were un-neutered tomcats involved? They're the worst...

Here are some ideas - not particularly well tested...

If you can isolate specific spots where the cat(s) have been widdling,
try vinegar - it's the classic thing to try. It may help, it may not - but
you've nothing to lose. I tried this on a spot were a cat nipped in and
widdled in my bathroom. Limited success but it did help.

Give the house a good airing - windows open on warm days, get rid of as many
furnishings and carpets as possible - even if they aren't damaged they'll
be picking up the odour themselves.

Next thing that *might* work is sodium bicarbonate - get loads in powder
form, mix into a paste with water and daub on to the worst spots, leave to
dry (couple of days if possible) then hoover up dry.

The last trick works really well on fridge interiors - not tested with cat
urine, but might be worth trying?... Bicarb is really good at sucking up
odours.

Failing all of that, perhaps some scent (perfume, joss sticks,
air-freshener) might make it more bearable for the workmen?

HTH

Tim (in the UK)