Posted to alt.home.repair
Tom G

Default Can I use a filter on the washing machine waste line?

wrote in message
ups.com...
I found that my drywell has become clogged with lint and soap scum.
After I clean it out and refurbish it I thought I could put something
in line with the washing machine waste line. Does such a thing even
exist? (Only the washing machine feeds into this drywell.)

I used to have an apartment where they put some type of filter inline
with the shower head due to the dirt in the town's water. Not sure if
that would work - that seemed to be for more fine particles like dirt
and sand. Not sure if could hold up to suds and stuff.

TIA

If your washer drains into a laundry tub before going down the drain, it
would be simple to put a nylon pantyhose leg over the end of the hose to
catch the lint. Or one of the small lint filters designed for this purpose
available at most grocery and hardware stores, as others have suggested.
It would be difficult to do this if your hose goes right into a stand pipe
as you have to be able to easily monitor the filter to replace it before it
fills up and blocks the hose. Another solution might be an above ground
tank to catch the water, then with a hose use the water to water your
landscape plants. Then a regular maintenance schedule to clean the tank.
The last alternative would be one of the newer front load washers. They use
much less soap and actually don't have a lint filter as the tumbling action
doesn't , literally, knock the stuffing out of your clothes. Top load
washers have a filter but it only holds the lint long enough to keep it from
depositing back on the clothes and then it is backflushed down the drain.
Remember, years ago when machines had the little filter that you cleaned
after each load. The consumer didn't like the inconvenience, but also
didn't realize the problems that are caused when that lint is instead
flushed down the pipes.

Tom G.