Posted to alt.home.repair
Joseph Meehan

Default Cleaning off old motar from brick

ameijers wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...
I need to rebuild a retaining wall, I broke down most of the wall. I
need to clean off the existing mortar from the brick.

I read many articles saying how dangerous muramic acid is. I saw
phosphoric acid isn't as dangerous. Has anyone tried phosphroic on
morter? Is there anything else to use?

Go and get a 3 or 4 inch cold chisel, a 2-lb hammer, and a masons
hammer, and a pair of leather gloves. Thick mortar is best removed
mechanically. I probably cleaned 30 or 40 thousand brick that way one
summer as a kid. Once you get the hang of it, it goes pretty fast.
Often, you don't even need tools- just strike the bricks together at
the right angle, and the mortar falls off. Muratic acid is for after
you build the new wall, to wash down the face and get off the smeared
mortar. Be aware that you will need more brick than came out of the
old wall, since a decent percentage will break.

aem sends...

Well said. I agree totally. I might even suggest that you can often
skip the muratic acid step, depending on the look you need.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit