Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Lumber milling rate to charge?

I have the oppurtunity to plane and join a load of various tropical
hardwods. Mostly Cocobol and Mahogany and need to figure out what
rate/bf to charge. I techincally won't be charging the person but
doing the milling as a trade for some of the wood.

What I was thinking was setting a price/board foot, for example $1/bf.
Then take the average market price of the lumber to arrive at my %.
So say the wood was $10/bf for every 10 bf I would get 1 bf. This
formula does not account for blade resharpening and wear and tear.

Any ideas on what to charge and if this seems like a good approach
would be helpful. I'm not lookking to make money on the deal, rather
spend a little of my time and hopefully walk away with a couple of 100
BF on nice wood on my lumber rack.

Thanks