Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Low Voltage Lighting transformer problem

Ben Mack wrote:

Hi

I've installed some 12V halogen lights in some shelves, such that I have
to mount the transformer remotely. I used 3m of normal 1.5mm^2 lighting
cable to connect the transformer to the lights, having calculated a
300mV drop across the cable (30mV/A/m x 3.3A x 3m)

However in practise I'm losing around 6V in the cable, and have
discovered that the transformer output is 125kHz, not 50Hz, explaining
the bad attenuation in the cable

it doesnt at all. Look for a bad connection or too many bulb watts for
the transformer. Bear in mind multimeters may read the 12v wrong if its
not sine wave.

So my question is - do all compact dimmable 12V transformers have high
frequency outputs?

I don't have space for an old-fashioned 50Hz transformer

tronic TFs are high frequency, toroidals are 50Hz.

NT