Posted to rec.woodworking
scott Doyland

Default slice of tree - how do I make it into a table with regards to drying or whatever

Wilson wrote:
Use four 1/2" lag bolts long enough to go several inches into the stump.
Soak the top of stump with wood preservative.
Use 3/4 short pipe nipples and big washers to make spacers to hold the top
off the stump.
Soak both sides of the top with preservative...copper naphthanate 19% if you
can find it.
Cover the top with sheet metal or some old plexiglass when not in use and it
should last quite a while.
Otherwise, really soak it with an oil/silicone stain. If you can get it to
the point where water beads up on it, it may last quite a while.
If you can get access to a banding tool, three or four bands around the top
would help stabilize it, but you may need new bands now and then as it
dries. I've never done this, but many things made from large sections of
wood are banded...like waterwheel shafts.
Wilson
"scott Doyland" wrote in message
ps.com...
Hi,

Thanks everyone for the help. One more question. Wilson - in your
posting you said to use preservative OR an olil/silcon stain. Is
there any benefit in using one more than the other, does the oll stain
pull out the water as you said if I can get water to bead up on it it
would last longer. Or should I be putting both on.

I think I may well get the slice sawn a bit neater first as by the
sounds of it I could end up with something that looks quite good,
rather then a bodge job as it started off as.

I wonder if a timber yard can cut it neatly for me or if the only way
is to try and chaionsaw off some of the excess lumps and bumps.

Scott