Posted to uk.d-i-y
Stuart Noble

Default Working safely on a hipped roof

wrote:
Hi

Is there a standard way of working safely on the ridge where a roof hip
joins the main section using 'normal' equipment?

I can think of two possibilities:

1) Put a standard roof ladder over each side of the main roof (ie, two
ladders), and bring a rope between them across the hip.

2) Put a tower against the flank wall (where the hip runs to), secure
it to the building with eye bolts, then lay a ladder over the roof that
is secured to the tower at its base.

Anyone have any thoughts?

IanC

Most roofers I've seen sit on old sofa cushions for quick repairs. You
could harness yourself to a chimney stack maybe? Not my idea of fun though.
I went and hired a roof ladder a few years back. Got to about rung
number 4 before bottling it. I think the small distance between the rung
and the tiles meant I never felt my feet were firmly on the thing.
Heights I can do off ladders, but angles are different.