Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
cm

Default Advice on Central machinery wood lathe

Chuck,

The pivoting headstock will be of little use for two or more reasons. The HF
lathe does not have enough cast iron or low enough rpms to make use of this
feature if you are turning a bowl larger than 12". The tool rest set up
will not be strong enough to extend far enough to make use of this feature
on a large bowl. At best the pivoting headstock would make it easier to sand
or turn in certain situations on a bowl that could be turned over the ways.
I think you would have the same problem on the Jet equivalent.

Many have been happy with that HF lathe as a starter lathe. I am pretty
confident they are not turning bowls that require the headstock pivot. You
might be able to turn platters this way?

I am sure it would be fine as long as you turn over the ways. Most important
thing is that you get a lathe and start having some fun.

Take care,

AZCRAIG

www.vintagetrailersforsale.com

"caaron" wrote in message
I thought that was the purpose of the pivoting headstock--to rotate so that
I could accomodate larger bowls. Is that correct or did I misunderstand
the purpose of the pivoting headstock?

Chuck

"Patriarch" wrote in message
. 97.136...
"caaron" wrote in
:

I plan on turning bowls, mostly, so a Mini lathe is probably too small
for me. snip

If you're planning on turning bowls, you'll find that a 12" lathe, from
any
builder, is too small for much of your work...

Should you buy this one, don't plan on using it for your 'primary' for
very
long.

Patriarch, on his second...